Monday, July 9, 2012

miscellany monday

happy monday to y'all.
linking today with carissa over at lowercase letters.

1. i love cookies. i'd rather have cookies than pretty much any other dessert. 
this is my new favorite recipe:

soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies

ingredients

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (i use half whole wheat flour)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (about 12 ounces) semisweet and/or milk chocolate chips

directions

  1. preheat oven to 350 degrees. in a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside. in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter with both sugars; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. reduce speed to low; add the salt, vanilla, and eggs. beat until well mixed, about 1 minute. add flour mixture; mix until just combined. stir in the chocolate chips.
  2. drop heaping tablespoon-size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
  3. bake until cookies are golden around the edges, but still soft in the center, 8 to 10 minutes. remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet 1 to 2 minutes. transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.

i'm also on a mission...a mission to make the perfect thick, soft cookie. so, i tried the dough in a muffin tin. they were definitely thick, but they're by no means what i'm looking for. 
they are good, though. they're like little cookie muffins, sort of.
if you want to do this, lower the temperature to 325. since i used a mini muffin pan, i started at 8 minutes and watched the cookies from there, adding 2 minutes at a time...i can't remember how long these took...sorry :(


2. can we just stop this?
this girl is trucking along too fast for my comfort. 
she can now climb the stairs by herself. 
i can't blink without her speeding through the living room.
walking is coming soon, i know it.


3. ok, confession: i'm not a huge beth moore fan. 
(will you still be my friend?)
honestly, i'm not a huge fan of any women authors when it comes to bible studies, theology, or things of this nature. sometimes i feel they are too emotional for my taste. (i'm not saying all of beth's studies are like that. and if you like them, i'm not saying you're wrong for liking them...they just aren't for me.) don't get me wrong, i'm emotional...super emotional. but, when it comes to the bible, i don't like fluff...give me the facts and give it to me straight. i'm also not a huge fan of studies that are topical. i need my study to be exegetical...give me the history, the how it relates as a whole.
i say all of that to say...
the women's ministry at my church is doing this study for the summer, and i really wanted to be involved in a bible study for the summer, so i signed up, and...
i really like it. 
it's exegetical. it's in depth. it's not fluffy.
and james is my favorite book in the bible, so i'm loving sitting here for a few weeks. win, win.
(if you have a favorite author that's a woman, let me know and i'll try her and see if i like her.)

image via



4 comments:

  1. Love the James study! Look at little Nora go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sure you already know about her, but seriously, Nancy Leigh DeMoss is one of my favorite authors...I'm sure I tell everyone to check her stuff out...but it's solid stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, i forgot about her. i do like her.

      Delete
  3. Hooha on the cookies! I can't get enough of them! Me Hubsy likes chocolate chip cookies that are undercooked to as practically be dough, not that I don't like that but sometimes I could go for a completely cooked one.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leaving me a comment. i can't begin to tell you how much your words mean to me!